SCOTSMAN NUGGET MACHINE MAINTENANCE
Our Brilliance® nugget ice is made from bits of compacted flakes of ice, making them softer than our cubes. Scotsman strongly recommends regular maintenance of this ice machine. During normal operation, mineral scale that is in the water supply will gradually build up on the ice-making surfaces. That build-up can cause excessive loading of the ice-making system, which can cause premature failure.
Eventually, built-up mineral scale can shorten machine life. To keep the machine operating properly, these impurities or minerals will have to be regularly dissolved by an acid cleaning, using Scotsman Ice Machine Scale Remover that can be found by contacting your local dealer.
SCOTSMAN RECOMMENDS CLEANING YOUR ICE MACHINE AT LEAST EVERY 6 MONTHS TO KEEP YOUR UNIT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY
TO VIEW A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO CLEANING YOUR SCOTSMAN SCN60 ICE MACHINE, CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW:
SCOTSMAN BRILLIANCE® NUGGET MODEL SCN60 CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS:
There are 5 things to keep clean:
- The outside cabinet & door.
- The ice storage bin.
- The condenser.
- The ice-making system.
- The ice scoop.
How to clean the cabinet:
- Wipe off any spills on the surface of the door and handle as they occur.
- If anything spilled on the door or gasket dries onto the surface, wash with soap and warm water to remove.
How to clean the ice storage bin:
- The ice storage bin should be sanitized occasionally. It is usually convenient to sanitize the bin after the ice-making system has been cleaned, and the storage bin is empty.
- A sanitizing solution can be made of 1 ounce of household bleach and two gallons of hot (95°F. – 115°F.) water. Use a clean cloth and wipe the interior of the ice storage bin with the sanitizing solution, pour some of the solution down the drain.
- Allow to air dry.
How to clean the condenser:
The condenser is like the radiator on a car, it has fins and tubes that can become clogged with dirt and lint.
- Remove the kickplate and front service panel.
- Locate the condenser surface.
- Vacuum the surface, removing all dust and lint. Caution: Do not dent the fins.
- Return the kickplate and front service panel to their original positions. Fasten them to the cabinet using the original screws.
How to remove scale from the ice-making system:
- Scoop out all of the ice, either discard it or save it in an ice chest or cooler.
- Press and release the On/Off button.
- Open the door and locate screws at the upper back wall of the bin. Remove the two screws.
- Remove the back wall of the bin by lowering it down past the scoop holder, feel free to rotate the scoop holder loop down to make more room.
- Push the tab on the front edge of the reservoir cover and remove the cover. Note: Adjacent wires are low voltage and are not hazardous.
- Locate the water shut-off knob and rotate it to shut the water off. (Some older models may have a lever-style water shut-off valve. Refer to your manual as a guide for your specific unit.)
- Locate the drain plug and pull the drain plug out to drain the reservoir and evaporator. When draining is complete, return the plug to its original position.
- Obtain pre-mixed Scotsman Clear 1 Scale remover solution (with squirt bottle) or mix a solution of Clear 1 with water: 2.5 ounces of Clear 1 with 1 quart (32 oz) of warm water. This can be found by contacting a local dealer or distributor of Scotsman products.
- Fill the 16 oz squirt bottle with the diluted scale remover.
- Fill the reservoir with the scale remover solution using a squirt bottle or other container. That will be about 8 ounces or half a squirt bottle.
- Press and HOLD both the Clean-Reset and On/Off buttons for 5 seconds. The Time to Clean light will blink on and off.
- The auger motor alone will be operating for 10 minutes, after that the compressor will start and in about 5-8 minutes the machine will start to make ice. The Time to Clean light will now glow steadily until the clean cycle is complete. Caution: Keep fingers away from moving parts. After ice-making starts, continuously add scale remover solution to the reservoir to keep it about half full. When all 16 oz of the solution is used, move the float valve lever down to the "On" position. After 40 minutes the ice machine and all the control panel lights will shut off.
- Pull the drain plug again to drain the system, then replace it.
- Return the reservoir cover to its original position.
- Return the upper back wall of the bin to its original position and secure it with the original screws. Push in at the bottom to snap it into place.
- Pour a gallon of hot (95°F. – 115°F.) water into the bin to flush out the drain and melt all ice that was made during the cleaning process. Be sure all ice is melted.
- Clean the bin liner of the mineral scale by using any leftover scale remover solution to scrub the scale off of the liner. If none is left over, mix a solution of 2.5 ounces of Clear 1 Scale Remover and 1 quart of water.
- Rinse the liner with hot water.
- Sanitize the bin interior.
- Push and release the On/Off button to restart ice making
How to clean the ice scoop:
The ice scoop should be washed regularly, wash it just like any other food container.
Never allow the machine to operate without regular cleaning. The machine will last longer if it is kept clean. Regular cleaning should happen at least every six months. Some water conditions will dictate even more frequent cleaning of the ice-making section, and some carpets or pets will dictate more frequent cleaning of the condenser.
TO VIEW THE SERVICE MANUALS FOR A SCOTSMAN NUGGET ICE MACHINE, CLICK HERE.